Master in Clinical Research Management - MEGIC
MEGIC is approved by A3ES
ECTS | 120
MEGIC is a master's degree in partnership between Universidade de Aveiro (UA) and Universidade NOVA de Lisboa (UNL). UNL collaborates in this course with a NOVA Medical School (NMS), a NOVA Information and Management School (IMS) and National School of Public Health.
In each course edition, the classes will be placed alternately between Lisbon and Aveiro.
The first edition (2018/2020) will be held in Lisbon, at NOVA Medical School (Campo Mártires da Pátria, 130 | 1169-056 Lisbon).
MEGIC aims to train highly qualified human resources to professionalize and to capacitate clinical research in health care facilities, universities, academic centers, biobanks, pharmaceutical and healthcare technology companies, clinical research organizations, and others.
Target Audience - Specific Conditions to apply:
1. Graduates in the area of Life Sciences and Health (Pharmaceutical Sciences, Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, Dental Medicine, Biomedical Sciences, Biology, Nursing, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, etc.).
2. Holders of a foreign higher academic degree, conferred following a 1st cycle of studies organized in those areas, according to the principles of the Bologna Process by a State adhering to this Process.
3. Holders of a foreign higher academic degree, in those areas, that is recognized as meeting the objectives of a degree by the scientific and statutorily competent body.
4. Holders of an academic, scientific or professional curriculum that is recognized as attesting the capacity to carry out this cycle of studies, by the Scientific Councils of the Faculties / University involved.
1. Fundamentals of clinical research
2. Ethical principles in the development of a clinical study
3. Management strategies in the implementation of clinical studies
4. Quality management system in a clinical study
5. National and international regulations, applicable to the development of a clinical study
6. Concepts of epidemiology applicable to clinical studies without intervention
7. Methodologies for data collection in a clinical study, taking into account the objectives and design of the study
8. Statistical strategies appropriate to the typology of study designs to be developed
9. Data management
10. Sources of funding in the area of scientific research
11. Drafting of proposals to be submitted in the application phase for financing
12. Reports and other documents relating to the management and implementation of clinical trials
13. Methodologies for processing and quality monitoring of samples and management systems in the context of the biobank.
14. Specific features of clinical trials, clinical studies in the field of nutrition and studies with medical devices.
Course duration and class schedule:
The classes will take place in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd semesters, on Fridays and Saturdays (9am to 6pm).
1st year – 1st semester
. Fundamentals of Clinical Research (6 ECTS)
. Basic Principles of Management (6 ECTS)
. Epidemiology and Methods in Clinical Research (6 ECTS)
. Ethics in Clinical Research (6 ECTS)
. Statistics applied to Clinical Research (6 ECTS)
1st year – 2nd semester
. Health System Organization (6 ECTS)
. Regulatory Affairs and Safety (6 ECTS)
. Health Quality Management (6 ECTS)
. Biobanks and Biologic Samples Management (6 ECTS)
. Option: Option Curricular Units availabes in the 1st edition of MEGIC:
- Data collection methodologies (6 ECTS)
- Clinical Research in Nutrition (6 ECTS)
2nd year – 1st semester
. Data and Information Management (6 ECTS)
. Scientific Writing Communication (6 ECTS)
. Dissertation/ Project / Internship (18 ECTS)
2nd year – 2nd semester
. Dissertation/ Project / Internship (30 ECTS)
The MEGIC internship integrates a curricular unit and is a professional stage, object of final report, and discussed in a public exam. All details will be published in the Regulation, which will be published soon.
The first phase of applications will run from March 2018, on a date to be published soon.
Candidates will be selected in 2 phases:
Phase 1: Curricular evaluation (50%)
Phase 2: Face-to-face interview (50%)
The tuition fee is:
1st year: 3000€
2nd year: 2500€
Application Fee: 51€
Registration Fee: 35€
Student Insurance: 14€
Official course language:
The written content will be mostly available in EN. The interaction with the students will be in Portuguese, unless there is some foreign student. In this case the interaction with the students will be in English.
Regulation and notice:
The Regulation and the announcement of the MEGIC will be published soon.