HISTORY

The first medical course at NOVA Medical School (NMS) took place in the academic year 1973-1980. Starting at the Faculty of Medicine of Lisbon / Hospital de Santa Maria, the course was transferred to the renovated premises of Campo de Santana. The Faculty of Medical Sciences of Universidade NOVA de Lisboa was established there on 15 November 1977.

The college is headquartered in a building whose original 19th-century project was designed by architect José Maria Nepomuceno, located in Campo dos Mártires da Pátria (also known as Campo de Santana).

The main building, where the Lisbon Medical-Surgical School of Lisbon and later the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Lisbon (transferred to the University City in 1953) was built on the site where there was a bullring and has in front of its magnificent façade, a statue in homage to Sousa Martins, a well-known doctor beatified by the people of Lisbon.

It is an imposing property in which the best artists of the time collaborated, highlighting the panels by Veloso Salgado in the Sala dos Actos, the tiles by Jorge Colaço in Passos Perdidos, the paintings by Columbano in the Sala dos Juris and the painting " O Mestre" (1914), by Carlos Bonvalot (1893-1934), which represents a lesson in Anatomy given by Professor Henrique de Vilhena.

The Faculty's mission is the public service for training and research in the fields of medical and health sciences.